Annons:
Taghow-to
Read 1606 times
Niklas
2019-09-18 12:25

How to make your smartphone last longer

Image 1. Click to open in original size.

This isn’t rocket science.

1. Use a protective case and a good screen protector. My favorite general use cases, at the moment, are those made by British Mous. They come in many different designs, are affordable and protects phones even in nasty drops. For screen protectors, I use different brands. The important thing is that it can withstand sharp-object-attacks and is easy to attach without leaving air bubbles between the display and the protective glass. I have used and been satisfied with amFilm and ESR protectors.

2. If you manage not to wreck your phone, the battery is the part that most likely makes it feel old. After a couple of years of daily use and charging, the battery won't be able to hold a charge for as long as when you bought it. Replacing the battery will give your phone new life at an often reasonable cost. Make sure to have the battery replaced by a firm with a good reputation. Some are less cautious or use cheaper parts, which can lead to trouble later.

3. Give it a little love. Don’t throw it on tables just because it should be able to handle it. Don’t put it in pockets where it doesn’t fit or may get bent (like jeans back-pockets). Don’t let it get wet unless it is water protected. Keep it at room temperature. Freezing temperatures will make the battery drain quickly, so keep it in an inner pocket rather than an outside one when the temperature goes below zero degrees. High temperatures (above 35 °C) can cause irreparable damage to the battery. Never leave your phone in the sun or in a car on a sunny day. It will quickly become warmer than 35 ℃.

4. If your smartphone gets drenched in water, and isn’t built for it, turn it off immediately. Keeping it on will most likely make it short-circuited and die. Instead, wipe it dry and put it in a closed plastic bag with dry rice for a week (yes, a whole week!). The rice will absorb any moist inside the phone. There are many stories of people who kept their wet phones in rice for a day or two and then had success turning them on. I strongly advise against this. If you are not that lucky, your impatience may instead ruin it.

» How to Make Your Smartphone Last Longer - The New York Times

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Annons:
[Joab]
2019-09-18 12:55

Very good advice, and easy to follow. When it comes to the battery and how to charge it properly, there are a lot of different opinions from different sources. Apple writes: 

"Charge your Apple lithium-ion battery whenever you want. There’s no need to let it discharge 100% before recharging."

https://www.apple.com/batteries/why-lithium-ion/

Niklas
2019-09-18 13:19

To be on the safe side, I usually try to follow each manufacturers advice about their products. Battery technology is about physics and chemistry, which behaves the same way under the same circumstances, but manufacturers can add technology to change those behaviors. #1: Reading your comment got me thinking about the battery health of my phone (iPhone X), so I checked. After two years of daily use, it still has 95 percent of its original capacity. That is much better than I had expected.

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

jordan
2019-09-18 14:12

Some good tips here! One I would like to add (if you have an iPhone)

Every so often, either used compressed air or a toothpick to remove any excess dust inside the charging port of the phone. For whatever reason it gets pretty bad with iPhones and can make you think that either the charging port or your cable is at fault. Most of the time, this will actually do the trick.

Niklas
2019-09-20 11:55

In iOS 13, released yesterday, there’s a new option for preserving the battery. Go to Settings > Battery > Battery Health and activate Optimized Battery Charging. This feature learns about your charging habits and tries to optimize your charging so that you don’t fully charge your iPhone when it isn’t necessary. You may notice that despite being attached to the charger, your phone isn’t charged to more than 80 percent. Don’t worry. Based on your use pattern, you will not need those extra 20 percent before you usually charge it the next time. This is meant to make your battery health stay better for longer.

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

jordan
2019-09-20 16:21

Interesting! My battery health is around 92% after almost two years, so I'm quite happy with that. Hopefully with this feature I can keep it near that figure.

Leia
2019-09-20 18:58

I’ve had my iPhone 8 Plus for a year and a half and my battery health is 86%! I’ve been very conscious to not have it left on charger etc, do you think it’s me, the model or the size that has caused it to decrease?

All the best, Leia

Host of  Gluten-Free Living | News  | English Language Heart

Annons:
Niklas
2019-09-22 10:56

#6: I think it may be that you just use it a lot. Your battery health, to me, is more expected than mine. After two years of use, I would have expected it to be around 80 percent. That's the level yours is at.

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Leia
2019-09-22 11:02

#7 that makes sense!

All the best, Leia

Host of  Gluten-Free Living | News  | English Language Heart

Tammie
2019-09-28 00:22

I think it is a great idea every once in awhile to review the applications that you have on your phone and delete the ones that you don’t use. Some applications really use a lot of battery power.

Happy creating!

Tammie

Host of Paints and Crafts

Scroll to top
Annons: