Annons:
Taghow-do
Read 955 times
jordan
2019-08-26 23:23

How do I become comfortable in front of a camera?

Image 1. Click to open in original size.

So a task that I have been given as part of a job application has me needing to upload a three minute video, in which I have to describe why I am interested in the role and how I could be an asset if hired.

Normally, this would be fine… If it was on paper! There is something about explaining myself in front of a camera that puts me on edge, and prevents me from being happy with what I end up producing.

Has anyone here had experience in being in front of a camera for a video? How did you deal with the possible anxieties?

Annons:
Niklas
2019-08-27 10:04

I think being able to relax is the key. Consider this:

• When you see yourself, you see what everyone else already sees. You’re just unaccustomed to see and hear yourself.

• You’re not on a schedule. You have booked the studio for as long as it takes.

• Start talking with the camera rolling. Let it run for five or ten minutes while you speak from the top of your mind about your interest in the position and what you think you can add to their business. Don’t evaluate what you say while you are speaking. Never mind if things come out in the wrong order.

• Do retakes, cut and paste until you are satisfied.

• There’s no cheating in having a manuscript. Write down bullet points or a complete script, whatever makes you feel comfortable.

• Pretend that you speak to someone you know well.

• Get help sorting though the video material from someone who knows you. Don’t be afraid to make mistakes and leave them in. You are human. It might as well show in the video.

Put the camera/phone on a stand or lean it against a mug or something. I good place to put it might be in a window without direct sunlight at a 45 degree angle so your face is lit slightly from one side while the camera is right in front of you. Sit close to the camera. It’s not your room they want to see, its you. 🙂

Good luck!

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Niklas
2019-08-27 10:21

Try to fix the camera horizontally with the viewfinder looking straight forward (also horizontally), not at an up- or downward angle. A rubberband and a mug or glass with straight edges might Help.

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Evelina
2019-08-27 11:45

You could also try having a close friend or family member sitting in front of you (but out of the way of there camera) so you feel that you are in the presence of another person and it may feel more natural for you to sort of talk to them. And just relax and accept that you may not ever think it is "perfect" but creating a video that is close enough to perfect is still something to aim to achieve. That "perfect" expectation we give ourselves often creates a lot of unnecessary anxieties. Letting go of this expectation might Help you to relax while filming. 🙂

Niklas
2019-08-27 12:37

#3: That's excellent advice. You could write questions that the friend then asks you, so it feels natural to talk about the subject. 😀

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Niklas
2019-08-27 12:38

Or, you could record yourself asking the questions and then make it part of the video so it looks like you have interviewed yourself. 😂

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Evelina
2019-08-27 12:47
Annons:
jordan
2019-08-28 22:32

Thank you guys! I ended up using both of your advice, but I think I will need to do a retake tomorrow morning after doing an initial edit Crying

Funnily enough after a few failed attempts hearing and seeing myself was actually the least of my problems! I guess the main issue was seeing any (literally any issue) and recording it again. I had my mum behind the camera as the person to talk at, lets just say it was fortunate we had the day to do it Laughing

Hopefully I can get rid of my anxieties with the video, and put out something I can be proud of :)

Evelina
2019-08-28 23:28

Glad to hear! I am sure the retake will go well! Laughing

Niklas
2019-08-29 11:18

That's a big step! To me, knowing that others are used to seeing me as I am is comforting. I still laugh when I see myself in photos with others in family photos. It reminds me of pictures of the tallest man on earth in Guinness Book of World Records. My head often is above the rests as I'm more than average height. I look photoshopped.😂

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

jordan
2019-08-29 22:41

The retake went well! Now we wait Innocent

#9 After the experience I genuinely think I am more comfortable in a video than I am in a photo! And oh dear Laughing out loud More often than not it is the opposite for me!

Niklas
2019-08-30 13:43

Good!

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Scroll to top
Annons: