Annons:
Taghow-to
Read 2018 times
Niklas
2019-03-03 17:16

How to overcome blood and needle phobia

Image 1. Click to open in original size.

You probably know that the way to getting rid of phobias is gradual exposure. That's what CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy) is about.

I have great difficulty handling blood and needles (as in syringes). Even when shown on TV I look away. 🙂 Recently I began watching the British TV series Critical. It probably contains as much blood, scalpels, needles, and human internals as I have ever seen. I started by looking away much of the time in the first five or six episodes. Then, gradually it got a little easier to see more of the "problematic" parts. At the end of the first season (episode 13), I could watch the whole episode without too much discomfort and I even got a bit curious about the procedures.

This is a huge improvement. I am not sure if it has affected my ability to look at blood and syringes in real life.

If you too find it hard to see blood, perhaps you could do something similar. Critical may be too much of shock therapy for you. Then Nurse Jackie, Grey's Anatomy or ER could work.

» Critical

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Annons:
Evelina
2019-03-04 15:36

I also hate seeing blood and needles! Unfortunately, it doesn’t mix well given the fact that I have to give myself a shot once a month, haha. I’ll get used to it over time I hope!

Leia
2019-03-04 22:12

Blood and needles have never really bothered me! I had many blood test throughout the years and now I'm old enough I am a blood donor!

I have very skinny arms so I find donating quite uncomfortable and tiresome, but I know the benefits it brings is worth the 15 minutes of hassle I have to endure! Maybe donating blood would be an intense but overall positive experience to Help someone overcome a blood and needle phobia??

All the best, Leia

Host of  Gluten-Free Living | News  | English Language Heart

jordan
2019-03-04 23:08

Here's hoping that some of the fear has gone away in the real world! I never had a fear of them either, but I don't react well to them, haha. The last two I have got I have passed out shortly after having them done, so something about the immediate aftermath doesn't agree with my body.

I also think that this way is probably the best way to deal with a phobia… well, a lot more ethical than flooding, perhaps Laughing out loud

Niklas
2019-03-05 13:04

#2: I have thought about giving blood but think that you aren’t allowed to take medicines when you do. Do you know if that's true? #3: Is after donating blood that you pass out? I think that is common if you dont take it easy. The blood pressure goes down.

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Evelina
2019-03-05 13:36

#4 I have no idea actually! I have never given blood. It makes me way too nauseous and sick feeling. The last time I got my blood drawn for testing I got a migraine. It’s all because I am afraid of it 😂😂. I always tell the nurse that they have to distract me and not let me see the blood or needle or I might get sick 😂 I am such a baby when it comes to blood haha

Niklas
2019-03-05 13:49

Perhaps Critical would Help you too then? 🙂

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Annons:
Leia
2019-03-05 23:17

#4 I think it depends what medications it is! There is a ton a of regulations you have the read prior to see if you are eligible to donate, they can all be found online and will depend with the company your donating too I would imagine.

All the best, Leia

Niklas
2019-03-06 14:46

Okay. I will have to read up on it.

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

jordan
2019-03-07 14:07

#4 Only after vaccinations! I have not had the opportunity to give blood, yet.  However, it does worry me slightly that something like that could happen then as well!

Maleficum
2019-03-09 17:54

#4 Some medicines are no problem to take when giving blood. I gave blood for a while (did eat different kinds of medicine then) but I have to narrow and delicate blood vessel so after a few tries I had to stop :(

I have never had problems with needles or blood and don't really have any phobias any more (I had elevator phobia as a child).

Deviantart, photos, drawing and paintings.

Niklas
2019-03-11 10:28

I sent an email to the blood donor's office. They told me that taking medicines generally isn't a problem for blood donation and my medicines, in particular, aren’t. 🙂So, I'll just have to muster some courage to do it before I go there.

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Leia
2019-03-11 22:29

#10 I had a downwards escalator feat when I younger! #11 no excuses then😉 it’s an amazing thing to give blood!

All the best, Leia

Niklas
2019-03-13 13:00

I got registered yesterday. If everything is okay, they will invite me in a month.

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Annons:
Leia
2019-03-13 23:16

#13 That's great, and a huge step considering you have a phobia! Go you!!

I hope it all goes well 🙂

All the best, Leia

Niklas
2019-04-03 11:56

Yesterday I parted with 450 ml of my blood. It took about seven minutes and was very bearable. Afterwards they had a sandwich buffet. I ate a very good sourdough sandwich with Philadelphia cheese and drank organic apple juice. In three months I expect to get a new invitation sms. 🙂

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Emo
2019-04-03 15:07

#15 Well done! Good Luck.Win

My website: American version
Min hemsida: Svensk version

Niklas
2019-04-03 20:43

Thank you!

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Leia
2019-04-03 22:56

#15 Woo go you!! You’re lucky you get a buffet, here in the UK you’re allowed a cookie, cup of tea or dilute squash, they’re not as generous it seems 😂. Do you feel more confident facing blood and needles now?

All the best, Leia

Niklas
2019-04-04 10:40

Yes, I absolutely do. Earlier in life I would not have done it.

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

jordan
2019-04-07 19:31

Congrats Niklas!

Annons:
Niklas
2019-04-08 11:19

Thanks, Jordan!

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Scroll to top
Annons: