Annons:
Taghow-to
Read 1599 times
Leia
2019-02-07 23:52

How to move house?

Image 1. Click to open in original size.

Hello!

My mother has rented our house for the past 15 years, however, our landlord is now wanting to sell and we've been forced to out in the next two months. Due to financial reasons, we will have to downsize to a small flat from a three bedroom property.

Do you have any tips on downsizing or moving house in general? It all seems so stressful Scared

Photo by Patrick Perkins on Unsplash

All the best, Leia

Host of  Gluten-Free Living | News  | English Language Heart

Annons:
Evelina
2019-02-08 10:02

I’m sorry to hear that! That sounds awful. I would suggest getting rid or selling anything that you haven’t used in the last year (besides photos etc). We often hold onto things thinking that we’ll eventually use it or finish that hobby project but the stuff just sits there in storage. Also, if you have any things in double, such as tools or kitchen things, then it’s probably same to only have one of those.

Niklas
2019-02-08 10:48

In a situation like that, I would start by packing only what I need and what has too much sentimental value for me to get rid of. Hopefully, that isn't everything you currently own. You may find that downsizing doesn't feel all that bad. It can even be a good thing. 🙂

» start here - Be More with Less

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Leia
2019-02-09 00:41

#1 We are trying to sell or give away as much as possible, so far Facebook has been a great resource, we found someone who had just moved into a bungalow and was looking for any free items that he could use to put him on and he had nothing. This was great because he was happy to take things that had been repainted by us or had a little damage, things we wouldn't have been able to sell. Selling on Facebook has had its problems, people let you down by promising to come and then not. I hope the more we can give away or sell the better as the price for removing furniture through companies or skip hire can be quite high.

#2 I think downsizing will be great! Other than photos we don't have much of sentimental value so that shouldn't be a problem. However I am much more open to getting rid than my mum is, I feel she needs a lesson in minimalism, I find people in the UK are so caught up by material things.

All the best, Leia

Max
2019-02-10 13:33

One thing that I learned travelling around the world with a back pack for a few years is that possessions are liabilities as well as assets. We don't really need most of our stuff and the economy is slowly but surely shifting from "nouns" to "verbs". That said I am not good at actually clearing out the junk and have a tenancy to put stuff in the loft.

Leia
2019-02-10 22:44

#4 A lot of our old and run down furniture is proving to be a liability! Because I've been thinking about backpacking I have already started to slowly downsize beforehand, that's helped me a lot now. 

I think for my mum, she keeps things because getting rid seems like a waste money, or she thinks there's a chance it will come in use in the future and thus save money then. Most of the time it doesn't save any money though.

All the best, Leia

Niklas
2019-02-11 08:48

#4: That is very true. Everything you own, you have to take care of. There are few possessions you can just buy and forget about. They need space, care, maintenance, insurance. And worst of all, they need you to think of them to make sure they are taken care of.

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Annons:
Max
2019-02-11 12:16

People laugh at bower birds but many of us can't Help but emulating their behaviour.

jordan
2019-02-11 21:11

Another way that you can Help yourself letting go of things is to look at them today and ask that if you saw this item on the shelf (or wherever), would you buy it there and then? If so, keep, if not, time to go!

Scroll to top
Annons: