Annons:
Taghow-to
Read 5664 times
Evelina
2019-01-13 17:51

Tips on how to land a research internship?

I've been searching around looking for a research internship related to my Master's education in Economic History for the summer. I've been emailing a bunch of people and organisations asking if they even offer internships since its often not explicitly stated anywhere. I got a reply from a German professor and I have a Skype interview set up next week. Does anyone have any tips for me? 🙂

Annons:
Emo
2019-01-14 07:56

What is internship? My expensive dictonary (1000 sek) couldn't give my a fine answer.

Thanks to Wikipedia, now I have learnt a new word. Laughing

My website: American version
Min hemsida: Svensk version

Evelina
2019-01-14 10:30

Praktik på svenska Winking

Niklas
2019-01-14 10:34

Emo, an internship is “praktikplats” in Swedish. 🙂 #0: I don't have any experience in interning, so I only have general tips. Write down beforehand what you want to say and know. Like what requirements you have for the internship to be of use for your research, if they have had interns previously and practical issues you may have.

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Evelina
2019-01-14 11:05

Never heard of praktikplats. I have only seen Praktik on organisation websites. 🧐 Whats the difference? Ok, thanks!

Niklas
2019-01-14 17:03

”Praktik” is what you do (verb) and ”praktikplats” is the internship (noun).

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Niklas
2019-01-14 17:14

”Praktikplats” can also be where you do your internship.

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Annons:
Emo
2019-01-14 18:31

Thank you all.

So it was not a con(vict) on a boat. Winking

My website: American version
Min hemsida: Svensk version

Evelina
2019-01-15 10:46

Hahha 😁 no. That would be interesting.

Leia
2019-01-15 18:19

You can check out these websites! I don't know how UK specific they are but they may be useful:

Cogent Skills: http://www.cogentskills.com/new-talent/individuals/placements-internshipsWebsite advertising Chemistry and Science placements.

EDT: Year In Industry: http://www.etrust.org.uk/the-year-in-industry
The Year in Industry has vacancies with 300 companies working in technology, science and engineering across the UK – from leading FTSE 100 companies to small innovative start-ups.

Prospects: www.prospects.ac.uk
Website advertising placement and graduate vacancies, as well as advice and information.

Rate My Placement: www.ratemyplacement.co.uk
Website advertising placement vacancies, as well as advice and information.

Step Placements: http://www.step.org.uk
Website advertising placement and graduate vacancies, as well as advice and information.

Target Jobs: http://targetjobs.co.uk

All the best, Leia

Host of  Gluten-Free Living | News  | English Language Heart

Leia
2019-01-15 18:27

Also researching an employer can Help you decide whether an organisation is the right fit for you and develop your understanding of the sector you are interested in. Gaining an overall understanding of what the business does, it’s size, turnover, clients, competitors, aspirations, brand, products and cultures will Help to prepare yourself for job applications and interviews, and develop your commercial awareness.

Where to start:

Visit the company website, connect on LinkedIn and follow their social media pages. This will Help to give you an overview of the company and their brand. Find out about any upcoming employer events and career fairs, as these are an excellent opportunity to speak directly with a potential employer and inquire about possible career opportunities or work experience.

Initial Research:

• What does the business do?

• Size of the business?

• Who are the clients/ customers?

• Who are the competitors?

• What are their market trends?

• What is the culture of the business?

• What skills and experience would they be looking for?

• What is their selection process?

•   Have there been any recent stories in the press?

Research for an Application or Interview:

• Read the company’s annual report.

•  Connect with current employees on LinkedIn.

•  Research the sector and similar roles on the company site and Prospects.

• Research new projects or achievements.

• Check out their ‘Meet the Team’ section and see what skills and qualities they value in their staff.

•  Read their Mission Statement.

• Research their community activities or charities that they may be associated with.

All the best, Leia

Max
2019-01-17 05:24

When I used to work in banking I was heavily involved with the graduate recruitment for the department. The summer interns were done on a far more unofficial basis and more often than not involved having a friend or relative in a senior position who could put you forward. Other than that it tended to get done at the HR level as it was too much hassle to involve line managers. #10 has given some excellent tips. I think few recruits would have done even a fraction of this research. In my experience only around 10 per cent of graduates are capable of writing a fluid, lucid and pithy covering letter without mistakes so doing so would already put you ahead of the game. And that was for one of the most prestigious and sought after organisations.

Evelina
2019-01-17 18:04

I got the research position at the German university. It was more like a conversation than an interview, which was nice. 😊

Evelina
2019-01-17 18:06

Thank you for the tips guys. What I did was look up what work the professor has written and others at the economic history department. I also organized my thoughts around my research interests. And I was ready with information like my funding, time available, etc. And specifically why I wanted to do research at that institution.

Annons:
Niklas
2019-01-17 20:29

Well done!

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Evelina
2019-01-17 20:45
Max
2019-01-18 00:21

#15 well done. It's astonishing how few people take the fairly obvious preparatory steps that you have outlined.

Evelina
2019-01-18 11:27
Leia
2019-01-20 22:47

Amazing Evelina! You must be so excited!

All the best, Leia

Tammie
2019-02-20 23:43

I am so proud of you!

Happy creating!

Tammie

Host of Paints and Crafts

Scroll to top
Annons: