Annons:
Taghow-to
Read 1369 times
Leia
2018-11-22 16:09

How to transcribe quickly?

Image 1. Click to open in original size.

Hello!

I'm currently undertaking a research project in the final year of my Human Geography degree. Much of the data I will use derives from interviews that I am yet to carry out, the step thereafter is to transcribe (convert speech to text). 

I know there are services that can do this for you but that comes with a hefty price tag! Does anyone have an experience of this? Do you have any tips that could speed up the process?

All the best, Leia

Host of  Gluten-Free Living | News  | English Language Heart

Annons:
Niklas
2018-11-22 17:37

There are different ways to do this. Since I know you have an iOS device, I suggest you start with that.

I don’t know if you already have the recordings, or if it’s something you are going to do. Sound quality is very important if you want good transcripts. Use an external microphone if possible. The better quality recordings, the less work for you after transcription.

The app “Just press record” has a built-in transcription feature. I’m not sure what length of recordings it can handle, but it can be worth testing.

Also, iOS has built-in transcription that is pretty good if you don’t speak to fast or slur. Open an empty document in a text editor, like Notes. Tap the microphone key next to the space button on the software keyboard and start talking. You will see the text automatically typed in the document. If you have very good recordings, you can try replaying them to the iOS dictation. If the recordings aren't good enough, play them back to yourself using headphones (so they don't interfere with your dictation) and dictate them to iOS dictation yourself.

If that doesn’t work, check out this comparison of speech transcription apps:

» The 5 Best Apps for Transcribing Lectures & Converting Speech to Text on Your iPhone :: Gadget Hacks

» ‎Just Press Record on the App Store

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Evelina
2018-11-23 08:59

#1 Those are great tips. I had no idea that you could do that.

Niklas
2018-11-23 13:48

iOS is more advanced than most people probably realize. That’s why I stopped using a laptop five years ago. 🙂

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Leia
2018-11-23 18:59

#2 They are amazing tips! I don't have a fancy microphone so I'm going to have to test how my phone will do on its own! You may have just made my life so much easier, thank-you!!

All the best, Leia

jordan
2018-11-23 20:52

#4 My phone has been working really well, in terms of a good quality microphone that is clear enough to hear me and my participant during interviews, so you should be fine there!

I wish I knew about these earlier! I have been compiling my research recently, and typing out word for word entire interviews has really drained me!

Niklas
2018-11-24 11:06

#5: Aah, you should have asked. 😉 But at least you know if there's a next time. Dictation is excellent for longer texts or email, especially if you're on the run. Just remember to say the punctuation too. Try to say ”smiley” and see what happens. 🙂

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Annons:
jordan
2018-11-26 20:30

#6 I really should have! I have another interview coming this week, so at least I can make the change now!

Niklas
2018-11-27 10:14

Are you allowed to present your research as a podcast? That could be an alternative to transcription. 🙂

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Leia
2018-11-27 21:55

#8 Unforunately not Sad, good idea though!

All the best, Leia

Scroll to top
Annons: