Annons:
Taghow-to
Read 1668 times
Niklas
2018-06-04 14:31

How to write online for vision impaired

Image 1. Click to open in original size.

Surfing the web with a screen reader or braille display is entirely different from how seeing people experience it. To facilitate their browsing the internet there are things you should be aware of when you write online.

Screen readers read out aloud what's on web pages. They read everything that seeing people see, but perhaps doesn't always think of. If, for instance, you end a sentence with a question mark, the screen reader will end the sentence saying ”question”.

If you write ”what is the problem with people these days?????”, the screen reader will say ”what is the problem with people these days question question question question question.” As you can imagine, this can get very annoying.

So, to make your writing more accessible for blind and other vision impaired people, avoid repeating characters when it isn't necessary.

(Photo by Ryoji Iwata at Unsplash)

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Annons:
Tammie
2018-06-04 16:42

Good to know!

Happy creating!

Tammie

Host of Paints and Crafts

Maddie
2018-06-07 08:30

I love this girl, she is a youtuber, who also happens to be blind. In this video she shows her computer and phone and how she uses them. 🙂

Niklas
2018-06-07 08:56

That was a fascinating and informative video. It deserves a post of its own. I probably wouldn't have noticed she was blind unless she had said so. She was very skilled in front if the camera. Do you know what she works with? She spoke about clients.

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Maddie
2018-06-07 09:03

#3 She was 14 when she lost her sight and I think she usually puts a bright light over the camera so she can see where the camera is, thats why she is so good at "not looking blind". 

I think she works with youtube and motivational speaking. I think the clients are schools or workplaces where the speaks. 🙂

Niklas
2018-06-07 11:09

Okay, thanks!

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Scroll to top
Annons: