How to...

How To Ferment Cucumbers

2018-05-26 16:15 #0 by: Tammie

I have been really enjoying learning how to ferment foods. Fermented foods are really good for you. I live alone and often have vegetables that I am unable to use up before they go bad. Fermenting is a great way of preserving those vegetables and having them on hand for later. 

Also, I am trying to make better choices in life. If I have a option to choose a food that is really good for me rather than the same thing that is not as good for me then I want to choose the food that offers the most benefits. Pickles are not bad for me and they have their benefits, but fermented cucumbers have even more benefits. So, I am excited to see how they turn out. I did not put black tea in my first two jars. I do plan to put black tea in the next batch to see which option turns out better.

Happy creating!

Tammie

Host of Paints and Crafts

2018-05-27 22:06 #1 by: jordan

I don't think I have ever eaten any fermented foods, other than Kimchi maybe. How would you say the taste differs?

2018-05-27 22:55 #2 by: Tammie

They aren't vinegary and are a bit more salty. 

Happy creating!

Tammie

2018-05-28 06:19 #3 by: Niklas

#1: Have you had sauerkraut?

Best regards, Niklas

Host of Crypto Currencies | How to... | iPad for Work | Mobile Photography

2018-05-28 15:46 #4 by: Tammie

I have but I am not a fan of sauerkraut. I don't know why but I just can't seem to like it. Sad I am one of those that likes most everything. But for some reason I am not fond of sauerkraut. 

Actually, sauerkraut is what got me started on wanting to learn about fermenting foods. I read about how good it is for you and bought some but didn't like it at all. So, I started looking up what other foods can be fermented in order to benefit from the probiotic's. 

Happy creating!

Tammie

2018-05-28 18:38 #5 by: Niklas

Perhaps you didn't eat sauerkraut with the right dish? Try a leberkäs with sauerkraut. I think that's how it's meant to be eaten. :-)

Best regards, Niklas

2018-05-29 03:34 #6 by: Tammie

I don’t know what that is! Can you translate or describe it?

Happy creating!

Tammie

2018-05-29 03:40 #7 by: Niklas

Wikipedia has a pretty good description:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leberkäse

It should be experienced though. People tend to be sceptical when they see or hear about it. :-)

Best regards, Niklas

There is anohter comment in this discussion. It is, however, only visible for logged in members. To read the comment, log in or register to become a member.