Annons:
Taghow-to
Read 2146 times
Niklas
2017-09-11 20:12

How to light a camp fire when it's raining

Look for dead standing trees. When they stand up they dry. Rain and snow usually only wet the outside. Cut a log and split it. You will find the driest parts in the middle. You can shave off some with a knife to start the fire with. Then you can split the rest into 10 to 15 millimeter thick pieces to get the fire going. If there is birch bark around, use it. It contains a lot of oil and therefore is easier to light than many other things when it's wet.

Once you have a fire you can lay thin branches around it to dry.

Take a look at this video for a demonstration of wet weather fire starting.

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Annons:
vendelay
2017-09-11 22:50

This is so logical but I probably wouldn't have figured it out - to use dead standing trees. Now I know in case of zombie apocalypse or something Quiet

Niklas
2017-09-12 08:26

Never underestimate the zombie apocalypse! :-)

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Tealover
2017-09-12 09:11

He could have saved alot of work if he would have made good feather sticks instead of the pencil sized sticks.

In Sweden you don't want to make it out of birch, the birch bark make even standing dead birches rot inside. Use pine first and spruce second, most standing dead spruces and pines have whats in swedish called "Tjärved" which is a tarry red wood that burns well even in rain.

Birch bark is great but not a part of the Swedish "Allemansrätt" (right to walk in any forest an forger) so unless it's a crisis LET THE BIRCH BARK BE.

It's the fatty part in the "back" of the birch bark you want to use with firesteel

Teanerd who loves tea so much that i started a tea shop www.tealovers.se!
Host of Tea savvity and the swedish version Te ifokus
Follow me on Facebook and instagram

Niklas
2017-09-12 14:34

Good tips! Do you know how long it takes for standing dead spruce and pine to produce tar wood?

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

vendelay
2017-09-12 14:51

#2 I don't, I'm actually kinda scared of it hehe…

Tealover
2017-09-12 15:08

#4 The tar wood is produced while it's alive but when it's damaged. You can make your own tar wood if you remove the barn on a part of the tree, of course you can only do that if you own the tree or have promision from the owner.

It was used quite much back in the days when you made hoses out of timber, those houses is almost indestructeble

Teanerd who loves tea so much that i started a tea shop www.tealovers.se!
Host of Tea savvity and the swedish version Te ifokus
Follow me on Facebook and instagram

Annons:
Niklas
2017-09-12 15:32

Ha, fascinating!

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Scroll to top
Annons: